You Can Help the Authors and Books You Love!
Friends and family members can be incredibly patient when they ask an author in their circle solicitous and innocent-sounding questions—like “How’s the book coming?”—and are met with blank looks, or, worse, groans and sighs.
Most authors today—OK, James Patterson’s an exception, and so’s JK Rowling—find that reaching “The End” is just the beginning of their work. Now they have to let the world know about it.
If you have a sense of how much time and effort authors invest in their books, maybe you’ve wondered “What can I do? How can I help?” Yes, indeed, there are things you can do that will help! And, whatever you find time to do, you can be sure it will be greatly appreciated!
Ten ways you can help promote an author or book you admire:
- Buy the books! The author may have written it with readers like you in mind.
- Don’t be too quick to pass around a book; instead, encourage others to buy it. Amazon, or book stores, and the author’s publisher keep most of the price of the book. If a book sells for $16, the author receives $2 to $4.
- Remember, books make great gifts! Maybe a friend or family member needs a thank-you or has a special day coming up.
- Word of mouth is the most powerful form of book marketing. So, tell people about a book you’ve loved.
- What you say about the book in an Amazon or Barnes & Noble review will influence other would-be purchasers. No need for cringy flashbacks to high school book reports. Just say the two or three things you’d tell a good friend who asked, “Read any good books lately?”
- Share a few words about what you’re reading on social media—GoodReads, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- If you enjoyed a book, your book club might too! Many authors are willing to participate in book club discussions in person or by Zoom, etc.
- You can “follow” your favorite authors on Amazon. Search for one of their books, click on the author’s name, and their author page will come up.
- If your author has a newsletter, sign up! Author newsletters often include interviews, reviews, and favorites. Many thanks, and happy reading!
- An author’s blog and website are another way to keep track of their new releases and to learn more about them.